Buongiorno, Roma: My First Three Weeks!

Hello! My name is Mary and I am an Art History and Classics double major from Santa Cruz, California, a coastal city between San Francisco and the Monterey Bay. I am attending Temple University Rome for both the fall and spring semesters, and I am so excited to immerse myself in a city that speaks to both of my majors so well!

It’s amazing how fast the time has flown already! Every day is a whirlwind of activity: Commuting, attending classes, grocery shopping, cooking with my roommates and hunting for our next favorite gelato place, studying… After the world came to a grinding halt for my first three semesters at Holy Cross, these past weeks have been intense. I’m (hopefully) having my first full year of college experiences, and in Rome no less. I’m still wrapping my head around this incredible opportunity!

When we first arrived, Temple University did an incredible job of helping us get settled and ready to explore, from an orientation trip to the medieval town of Todi to smaller and more personal walking tours of Flaminio, the area surrounding campus.

Todi, Umbria. I explored this hilltop town a few days after I arrived in Italy.

Aside from this being my first time in Italy, this is also my first time experiencing apartment living. I live with three other roommates, and together we’re still learning the ropes of how to shop and clean for four. What I appreciate most is that together we’re able to push each other to be more adventurous. For our first weekend together, we took a train to Santa Severa, a beach with a castle along the water. I never would have planned such a major trip on my own, but I had an amazing time and it helped me feel more comfortable with our smaller outings to more local areas.

My roommates gazing out at the bright blue waters of Santa Severa.

Because of the nature of my classes, I quickly learned how to navigate the Metro system. I have to buy the majority of my supplies for my Darkroom Photography class, such as film and resin-coated paper, which has allowed me to visit multiple camera stores. In my Roman Art and Archaeology class, I meet my professor and my other classmates for on-site lectures at museums and archeological sites. With the lack of reliable public transportation in California, I’ve very quickly gained a new sense of independence here in Rome!

The inside of a painted tomb from Tarquinia in the National Etruscan Museum, which I visited in my Roman Art and Archaeology class.

Of course, I’ve also taken time to visit some of Rome’s most famous sites. How could I miss out on the Piazza del Popolo, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, or the Colosseum and the Roman Forum? And let’s not forget all of the amazing churches you can slip inside of for some respite from the busy streets.

You’ve likely noticed by now that I used the more formal greeting buongiorno in my title, which is used throughout the morning and afternoon and directed toward those you respect or don’t know very well yet. I still have so much to learn about Rome, so I look forward to familiarizing myself with the Eternal City and finding my place in it this year. Arrivederci, and until my next post!